Many people who have completed their graduation or those who are pursuing the degree or those who want to take admission in instrumentation field may have a question like what is instrumentation and control, what kind of job they should get, what is the future of this field in this competitive era?
Let's understand and know what is instrumentation and what it gives you when actually adopt this field.
Instrumentation and control is an engineering branch which deals with measurement, has main two-term instrumentation and the second one is to control.
AIM OF INSTRUMENTATION:
The basic purpose of the instrumentation is to obtain maximum output from the industry with minimum usage of manpower, raw material, energy, time, etc.
Instrumentation means measurement and measurements like process variables such as pressure, level, flow, temperature, analytical instruments, fire detector and gas detector.
We need to measure because we want to know the state of the process, from that state we can control the process by means of some actuating devices.
Control means to control the process by obtaining information from the measurement. After obtaining the information this information sends to the controller which going to compare with setpoint and produce an error. Based on an error actuating device control the processes.
APPLICATION OF THE INSTRUMENTATION:
- To collect and send information about the process variable.
- Display and record the measured variable.
- Compare the measured variable with the set point.
- Controlling the process by actuating the manipulating variable.
- Initiate an alarm if process variable goes out of the range.
You can find an instrument almost in every industry like oil and gas, chemical, pharma, food and beverages, power plant, steel plant, cement plant, etc require to measure the processes and thus instrument and designing like in EPC companies.
JOB ROLE YOU MAY GET WITH INSTRUMENTATION FIELD:
- Maintenance Engineer (To replace or repair damaged equipment)
- Calibration Engineer (To calibrate instruments)
- Commissioning (Deal with setup new instrument)
- Troubleshooting (You deal with finding problem in measuring instruments)
- Automation Engineer (Programming task, testing and repairing, maintenance, etc.)
- Instrument Design Engineer (Design all kind of drawing used in process industries)
- SCADA Engineer (Deal with visualisation of the processes)
ADVANTAGE OF USING INSTRUMENTATION:
- Cost-saving solution
- Reduce manpower
- Saving time
- Can control large complex processes
- Minimum usage of raw material
- maximum output
- More profit