Instrumentation engineering or instrumentation and control engineering is a branch in which you can design, detail, commission, troubleshoot, maintain a control system.
In this article, you will get an insight on control and instrumentation engineering field, the scope for control and instrumentation engineering, instrumentation and control system, instrumentation and control. Instrumentation engineering is a field which allows you to work with electrical and electronic devices.
In Instrumentation and control field you also can work with the automation field. In which you can work with PLC (Programmable Logic Controller) Programming, SCADA and HMI Development and also you can work with IoT solutions.
Instrumentation and control is a vast field. The more you dig, the more you will learn. Opportunities in this instrumentation and control field are endless. You have to make yourself a learner in order to pursue your dreams.
Many people who have completed their graduation or those who are pursuing a degree or those who want to take admission into instrumentation field may have a question like what is instrumentation and control engineering, what kind of job they should get in instrumentation and control engineering and what is the future of instrumentation and control field in this competitive era?
Let's understand and know what is instrumentation and what instrumentation gives when you do hard work and we all know that hard work is a key to success. So, stick with it.
Instrumentation and control is an engineering branch which deals with measurement, has main two-term instrumentation and the second one is to control.
Instrumentation means measurement and control mean to control those measuring devices by keeping it at a set point.
AIM OF INSTRUMENTATION:
The basic purpose of the instrumentation is to obtain maximum output from the industry with the minimum usage of manpower, raw material, energy, time, etc.
Instrumentation means measurement and measurements like process variables such as pressure, level, flow, temperature, analytical instruments, fire detector and gas detector, etc.
We need to measure because we want to know the state of the process, from that we can control the process by means of some actuating devices like control valve.
Control means to control the process by obtaining information from the measurement. After obtaining the information this information sends to the controller which going to compare with setpoint and produce an error. Based on an error actuating device control the processes.
APPLICATION OF THE INSTRUMENTATION:
- To collect and send information about the process variable.
- Display and record the measured variable.
- Compare the measured variable with the set point.
- Controlling the process by actuating the manipulating variable.
- Initiate an alarm if the process variable goes out of the range.
You can find an instrument almost in every industry like oil and gas, chemical, pharma, food and beverages, power plant, steel plant, cement plant, etc require to measure the processes.
JOB ROLE YOU MAY GET WITH INSTRUMENTATION FIELD:
- Maintenance Engineer (To replace or repair damaged equipment)
- Calibration Engineer (To calibrate instruments)
- Commissioning (Deal with set up a new instrument)
- Troubleshooting (You deal with finding problem in measuring instruments)
- Automation Engineer (Programming task, testing and repairing, maintenance, etc.)
- Instrument Design Engineer (Design all kind of drawing used in process industries)
- SCADA Engineer (Deal with visualisation of the processes)
- DCS operator
ADVANTAGE OF USING INSTRUMENTATION:
- Cost-saving solution
- Reduce manpower
- Saving time
- Can control large complex processes
- Minimum usage of raw material
- maximum output
- More profit
TOP MANUFACTURER OF INSTRUMENTS:
- Endress + Hauser
You can get a job in the above-mentioned firm. It is hard to get a job without proper experience. But, in the end, I can say that nothing is impossible until you chase your dreams irrespective of what people think about you.